Representing Children in Immigration Matters
Wednesday August 15
- By: Kids in Need of Defense, Holland & Knight LLP
- Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
Holland & Knight, LLP1180 West Peachtree StreetAtlanta, GA
Kids in Need of Defense
- Website: www.supportkind.org
- Source: Immigration Advocates Network > IAN Nonprofit Resource Center
Before the “Zero Tolerance” Policy was announced by the current administration, immigrant children were arriving in the U.S. each year unaccompanied, seeking a haven from abuse, abandonment, gang violence, assault, and other dangerous conditions. Separating children from their parents at the border and treating them as unaccompanied is only going to exacerbate the need for representation of children before the courts.
Staff from Kids in Need of Defense will be onsite conducting this training. Come learn
more about the immigration system and how to provide valuable pro bono legal representation.
- The current policy and practice of separating families;
- Overview of unaccompanied immigrant children and the detention and reunification system;
- An introduction to legal remedies, including Special Immigrant Juvenile
- Status and Asylum; and
- Working with child clients and interpreters.
To register for this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org. While you wait to attend the training or for a volunteer case, download, read and share "How You Can Help Refugee and Immigrant Kids."